The tragic death of Tracey Kleinpell (a cyclist who was killed on the Sanibel Causeway in May 2011 by a driver who veered across oncoming traffic and struck her) has been under investigation for over a year. We were frustrated that the investigation took so long and were outraged by the news on May 17 that the State Attorney's Office is not bringing criminal charges against the driver. BikeWalkLee is working to turn the community's outrage into action.
Below are links to the components of our call for action, starting with:
- · BikeWalkLee's 4-page statement, with the many unanswered questions, along with specific action requests;
to Gov. Scott, the FHP Director, and the State Attorney
- The News-Press editorial from last week( News-Press Editorial: Tragedy can lead to action) , along with its coverage of the story No criminal charge in Sanibel Causeway bicyclist's..)
Here's what YOU can do:
• Tell Gov. Scott to investigate FHP’s handling of this case and support a safety study of FL roads.
• Tell FHP to recuse itself from bicycle and pedestrian traffic homicide investigations.
• Tell the SAO to bring criminal charges in this case.