Another very chilly morning, but by midweek the outlook may change considerably, returning to more familiar weather conditions. In case you missed it, last week's BikeWalkLee blog offered valuable advice for those aspiring to enjoy a run or ride on crisp, cold, sunny mornings like today's.
FORT MYERS TRACK CLUB (ftmyerstrackclub.com):
- Strides for Education 5K, 7:30 a.m., Saturday, Feb. 5, Florida Southwest State College, Fort Myers.
- Edison Festival of Light Junior Fun Run (distance varies by age), noon, Sunday, Feb. 13, downtown Fort Myers.
- Edison Festival of Light 5K, Saturday, Feb. 19, 5:45 p.m., downtown Fort Myers.
- Hooters River Roots & Ruts 10 Mile Trail Run, Sunday, March 6, Caloosahatchee Regional Park, Alva.
- Scope for Hope 5K & 2 Mile Walk, Saturday, March 26, Jaycee Park, Cape Coral.
GC RUNNERS (gcrunner.org):
- Picayune 10 Miler, Saturday, Feb. 12, Sabal Palm Hiking Trail, Naples.
- Naples Golden Eagle 5K, Saturday, Feb. 19, Lowdermilk Park, Naples
ELITE EVENTS (runeliteevents.com):
- Venice Half Marathon & 5K, Saturday, Feb. 19, 6:30 a.m., Maxine Barritt Park, Venice.
- Fort Myers City of Palms Half Marathon & 5K, Saturday March 5, 6:30 a.m., FGCU campus.
- Punta Gorda Half Marathon & 5K, Saturday, March 12, 6:30 a.m., Lashley Park.
- Paradise Coast Half Marathon, Sunday, April 24, North Collier Regional Park, Naples.
- Publix Run To The Arts 5K Fun Run, Walk, Roll, or Stroll, Sunday, Feb. 6, 8 a.m., downtown Fort Myers (runsignup.com)
- I Love The 80s 5K, Sunday, Feb. 6, North Collier Regional Park (active.com).
- Yo! Taco Shrimp 5K Run, Saturday, March 12, presented by Cypress Lake Athletics, Doc Fords, Fort Myers Beach (active.com).
- 70s Disco 5K, Saturday, March 5, North Collier Regional Park, Naples (active.com).
- Average Joe 5K Run (you finish in the middle of the pack to win it), Sunday, April 10, North Collier Regional Park, Naples (active.com).
- Royal Palm Challenge, Saturday, March 12, from the Collaboratory, downtown Fort Myers. Registration and more information coming soon.
- Broken 100 ride, Sunday, March 27, from Winn Dixie at Colonial Blvd. and Treeline Ave., Fort Myers.
The Caloosa Riders are offering member rides, but some are open to non-members (and it wouldn’t hurt you to join the club); check their ride calendar (caloosariders.org) for a description of the distance and speed, and to see if the ride is open to all.
SW Florida Critical Mass is offering their usual slate of family-friendly rides. Check out their line-up online (www.meetup.com/Biking-SWFL/events/) for details and times (and to make sure the ride is still rolling).
- SW Florida Critical Mass ride, first Friday of the month. A family-friendly slow night ride through Fort Myers. Front and rear bike lights required. Helmet and lights required, meet in the parking lot at 2180 West First Street, Fort Myers.
- Sanibel Critical Mass night ride, second Saturday of the month. Gathers at Jerry’s Shopping Center, 1700 Periwinkle Way, on Sanibel. Lights required, helmets recommended.
- NE Lee Critical Mass ride, third Friday of the month. Gather in the Winn Dixie parking lot on Palm Beach Blvd. about five miles east of the Interstate; gather at 7 p.m. and roll at 7:30 p.m. for a slow ride through Fort Myers Shores.
- Cape Coral Critical Mass ride, fourth Friday of the month. Gather at the Southwest Florida Military Museum parking lot at 4820 Leonard Street for a family-friendly night ride through the Cape; helmets and lights required.
- Saturday Morning
Slow Roll, fourth Saturday of the month. Meet-up at 2160 McGregor Blvd.,
Fort Myers. Recommended for inexperienced/young riders. Distance is 6
miles, includes group ride instruction.
TRIATHLONSSt. Anthony’s Triathlon (St. Petersburg) has been rescheduled again, now to May 1, 2022, Olympic and sprint (https://satriathlon.com/).
For the very latest, go to Fort Myers Track Club (ftmyerstrackclub.com), Gulf Coast Runners (gcrunner.org), Caloosa Riders (caloosariders.org), and South West Florida Critical Mass (meetup.com/Biking-SWFL)