Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Get your walk score
Know Where You Live: Sure, you know your home address. But do you know what it means in terms of walkability or carbon cost? Click here and just enter your street address and zip code to know where you stand.
What makes a neighborhood walkable?
* A center: Walkable neighborhoods have a center, whether it's a main street or a public space.
* People: Enough people for businesses to flourish and for public transit to run frequently.
* Mixed income, mixed use: Affordable housing located near businesses.
* Parks and public space: Plenty of public places to gather and play.
* Pedestrian design: Buildings are close to the street, parking lots are relegated to the back.
* Schools and workplaces: Close enough that most residents can walk from their homes.
* Complete streets: Streets designed for bicyclists, pedestrians, and transit.
Abogo is a tool that lets you discover how transportation impacts the affordability and sustainability of where you live.