It may be hot out there, but there are still lots of opportunities to participate in running/walking/biking/tri events in SWFL. You may have to travel a little further from home, but the roads aren't crowded and it's worth it. Have you signed up yet for this year's Captiva Tri on Sept. 13-14? Hurry, because it's filling up fast.
· Saturday, June 28: Sugden Stride 5K, Sugden Regional Park, 4284 Avalon Drive, Naples. Entry $28 before, $35 day of, $21 students, $72 summer series. Race starts 7 a.m. (http://www.eliteevents.org/sugden-stride-5k.html).
· Saturday, June 21: Summer Sizzler 5K, Jaycee Park, Cape Coral. Entry $20 adult, $15 youth, $25 day of. Race starts at 7 a.m. (http://www.3dracinginc.com/races.asp)
· Friday, July 4: Freedom 5K, 2051 Cape Coral Parkway East (at the foot of the Cape Coral Bridge). This race is among the few that lets you runs over the bridge overlooking the Caloosahatchee. A portion of the proceeds to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project. Entry fees $20 until June 25; $25 to July 3; $5 day of. Reduced rates for age 17 and under. Registration opens 6:30 a.m., race 7:30 a.m. (http://www.ftmyerstrackclub.com/)
· Saturday, July 19: Beat The Heat 5K, Jaycee Park, Cape Coral. Entry $20 adult, $15 youth, $25 day of. Race starts at 7 a.m. (http://www.3dracinginc.com/races.asp)
· Saturday, July 28: Eagle Lakes 5K, Eagle Lakes Community Park, 11565 Tamiami Trail East, Naples. Entry $28 before, $35 day of, $21 students. Race starts 7 a.m. (http://www.eliteevents.org/eagle-lakes-extreme-5k.html)
· Saturday, Aug. 9: Cape 5K, Jaycee Park, Cape Coral. Entry $20 adult, $15 youth, $25 day of. Race starts at 7 a.m. (http://www.3dracinginc.com/races.asp)
Cycling and other events:
· Saturday, July 5: Naples Pathways Coalition (NPC) Liberty Ride. 10-, 20- and 50-mile rides, four groups based on speed and distance. $20 to June 29, $25 to July 4, $30 day of; includes barbecue picnic. Registration open at 7 a.m., 50-mile ride starts at 7:30 a.m., 10- and 20-mile rides start at 9:30 a.m., behind the Bike Route, 655 Tamiami Trail North, Naples. (http://www.naplespathways.org)
· Sunday, July 6: Wheels and Wings V Bicycle Ride. 62/32/15 mile rides and a 10-mile gentlemen's mass start race within the 62-mile route. Speed Trap Alley -- break the speed limit and receive a written warning from Punta Gorda police, suitable for framing. Mystery Ride for the 15 milers. Beef O'Bradys 1105 Taylor Road, Punta Gorda. $30 includes ride, SAG stops, T-shirt, 10 Wings and two drinks (http://peaceriverridersbicycleclub.com/)
· Sunday, July 6: Naples American Sprint Duathlon and Triathlon, Sugden Regional Park, 4284 Avalon Drive, Naples. Sprint triathlon or run/bike/run Duathlon. Pre-registration $79, race day $99, relay team $119. Race starts 7 a.m. (http://www.eliteevents.org/naples-american-sprint-duathlon-and-triathlon.html)
· Saturday, July 19: Englewood YMCA Sprint Triathlon, Englewood Beach, 2100 N. Beach Rd., Englewood. 7 a.m. start. $70 individuals, $140 teams to June 9. (http://www.southcountyfamilyymca.org)
· Sept. 13-14: Registration is now open for the fourth annual Galloway Captiva Tri weekend. Saturday is the kids’ day with three age groups (6-8, 9-10 and 11-13) enjoying the fun of multisports. Sunday, the adults take to the water and roadways in a sprint triathlon (swim/bike/run) covering all of Captiva Island. Spaces are limited for all events, so register now – no waiting lists this year. Information at www.captivatri.org.
· Sunday, Oct. 5: Marco Island Triathlon 2014, Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort, 400 South Collier, Marco Island. 8a.m. start $85 individuals, $160 teams (http://www.thefitnesschallengetriathlon.com)
TELL US ABOUT YOUR RIDE:
Have a favorite route you like to bike, or a unique walk you’d like to share with others? Tell us about it at email@example.com, and maybe we can feature it in an upcoming column.