It is going to be a beautiful week here in sunny SWFL, we have a few events this week, and plenty to put on your calendar for the month! Keep checking back as events for summer are added. Get out and walk or bike with some friends, or get ready for some triathlons coming up next month.
• Saturday, April 23: Third annual Run4Kayla, held at Patriot Elementary, once again, with a 5k run/walk, a 1 mile fun run, and the main event, the Wheelchair Dash. (3dracinginc.com)
• Saturday, April 30: 4th annual Head and Neck Cancer Awareness Run/Walk. 5K run, 2-mile walk. Century Link Sports Complex at Hammond Stadium, Fort Myers. (3dracinginc.com)
• Sunday, May 1: Tropicool 5K, 7:30 a.m. in Olde Naples. (gcrunner.org)
• Saturday, May 14: 11th annual Lover Key Turtle Trot 5K. 8 a.m., to support the Friend of Lovers Key. (www.ftmyerstrackclub.com)
• Saturday, May 21: Cape Cops 5K run/walk and fun run, starting at 7:30 a.m. to benefit the families of fallen or injured officers. Cape Coral Yacht Club. (www.ftmyerstrackclub.com)
• Monday, May 30: Memorial Day 5K. Celebrate Memorial Day with a fun 5k at North Collier Regional Park. Proceeds of the race benefit the Special Olympics. (gcrunner.org)
• Saturday, June 18: Sugden Stride 5K, 7 a.m. at Sugden Regional Park in Naples. (eliteevents.org)
Friday, April 29: Cape Coral Critical Mass ride. Gather beginning at 7:15 p.m. for a 8:00 p.m. roll-out for a family-friendly ride through the Cape. Lights required, helmets recommended.
• Saturday, April 30: SW Florida Critical Mass will offer a starter/sightseeing ride on Saturday; gather at 9 a.m., roll at 9:15 a.m. from 2160 McGregor Blvd. Distance is 6 miles, includes group ride instruction.
• Friday, May 6: SW Florida Critical Mass ride. Join a family-friendly slow ride through Fort Myers. Front and rear bike lights required. Grab your helmet, bring all your friends and meet in the open field next to Publix (beginning at 7:15 p.m. for a 8 p.m. roll-out) at First Street Village, 2160 McGregor Blvd. Fort Myers. (twitter.com/swflcm)
• Wednesday, May 18: Ride of Silence, to honor those who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways. The Fort Myers ride starts at 7 p.m. at Centennial Park; the Sanibel ride starts at 7 p.m. from Matzaluna, 1200 Periwinkle Way.
• Sunday, May 1: Lake Avalon Reverse Triathlon & Duathlon. Triathlon: 5K run, 10 mile bike, 1/4 mile swim. Duathlon: 5K run, 10 mile bike, 1 mile run. Sugden Regional Park, Naples. (eliteevents.org)
• Sunday, May 1: Registration opens for the 2016 Galloway Captiva Tri, set for Sept. 10-11. (captivatri.org)
• Saturday, May 14: Cape Coral Yacht Club Sprint. (capeparks.com or active.com)
• Sunday, June 5: Naples Fitness Challenge Reverse Sprint. Naples Beach Club. (thefitnesschallengetriathlon.com)
• Plan ahead: Other upcoming area tris include the American Sprint Triathlon & Duathlon in Naples July 20 (eliteevents.org), the Englewood Sprint tri July 16 (swflymca.org), the Siesta Key Olympic and Sprint Tris and Duathlon June 25 or Aug. 6 (multirace.com), the Venice Sprint Sept. 3 (swflymca.org), the Siesta Kay Sprint Tri Sept. 24 (siestakeytriathlon.org) and the Marco Island Sprint Oct. 2 (thefitnesschallengetriathlon.com). Willing to drive? Check trifind.com for other state tris.