As BikeWalkLee issues its 2013 annual accomplishments report, it is also identifying its top priorities for 2014 and putting them in the context of our larger vision and goals.
|BWL Steering Group Jan. strategic planning meeting|
BikeWalkLee's priorities for 2014 focus on four key areas: Integrated planning; quality of life, transit, and safety. As part of each of these themes, we've identified 2-3 key actions that need to be taken in 2014 by our elected officials and local agencies. These include:
- BoCC adoption of the 2035 Horizon Plan comp plan amendments, consistent with the EAR.
- MPO Board selection of a land use scenario option that supports a balanced multi-modal 2040 LRTP.
- BoCC adoption of the County's proposed Sustainability Plan.
- BoCC review and reinstatement of funding for infrastructure through impact and/or mobility fees.
- Incorporation of bike tourism in economic development strategies by county, municipal, and state agencies and officials.
- BoCC adequate funding of transit, including restoration of evening and weekend service cuts, improvements in the Route 60 line, and no further transit budget cuts in 2015.
- Continuation of the LinC bus line connecting Lee and Collier Counties through shared funding by BoCC, the City of Bonita Springs, and Collier County, with MPO Board and FDOT support.
- MPO Board, each jurisdiction, local law enforcement officials, and other stakeholder agencies and groups make implementation of the MPO's Bicycle Pedestrian Safety Action Plan a top priority.
- Local law enforcement leaders and other stakeholder agencies and leaders, convened by the MPO, launch a countywide enforcement and education campaign in 2014.
- Lee Legislative Delegation support for state legislation to strengthen a ban on texting while driving by making it a primary offense; strengthen hit-and-run laws, and oppose efforts to raise speed limits.
Click here to read the 2013 Accomplishments Report (which also includes the 2014 priorities).