Monday, January 18, 2010
What are your comments on BikeWalkLee's recommendations to make streets safer for pedestrians and cyclists?
To make Lee County's streets safer for all users, our ped safety report laid out specific actions that we urge Lee County officials,agencies, and others in the community to consider in five broad areas:
1. Ensure that Lee's streets take into account all users (see Saturday's post)
2. Fix problem areas (see Sunday's post)
3. Focus on public education for all road-user groups
4. Enhance enforcement of existing laws
5. Put safe walking and biking into a broader context
As we move forward to advocate action on these suggestions, BikeWalkLee would like to get input from our network of supporters. Over the next week, I'll be posting the action items in each broad area and invite your comments and suggestions.
Today's post focuses on:
3. Focus on public education for all road-user groups:
1) Pedestrians/bicyclists: Learn how to walk/bike safer, how to walk/bike defensively in high-traffic areas and how existing laws affect your actions.
2) Drivers: Learn how to be more aware of pedestrians and their safety, and how to avoid unsafe distractions while driving.
3) Officials: Learn how to create a more walkable and bikeable community, and why that is important
4) Media: Take a role in educating the public, and shine a spotlight on problems and solutions.
What are comments? suggestions?