Sunday, January 17, 2010
What are your comments on BikeWalkLee's recommendations to make streets safer for pedestrians and cyclists?
To make Lee County's streets safer for all users, our ped safety report laid out specific actions that we urge Lee County officials,agencies, and others in the community to consider in five broad areas:
1. Ensure that Lee's streets take into account all users (see yesterday's post)
2. Fix problem areas
3. Focus on public education for all road-user groups
4. Enhance enforcement of existing laws
5. Put safe walking and biking into a broader context
As we move forward to advocate action on these suggestions, BikeWalkLee would like to get input from our network of supporters. Over the next week, I'll be posting the action items in each broad area and invite your comments and suggestions.
Today's post focuses on:
2. Fix problem areas:
1) Look at what caused pedestrian and bicyclist fatalities discussed here, and what could have been done to avoid them.
2) Look at what information we're lacking to make better safety decisions based on this analysis, and how could it be better gathered.
3) Look at funding options to make crucial bike and pedestrian roadway improvements.
4) Provide more transparency and accountability in regular reporting and analysis of indicator data and recommendations for action.
What are your comments/suggestions?