Below is what’s scheduled for organized running and biking events locally… but confirm with the organizers and be flexible in case conditions change and large-group activities are limited. Of course, wear a mask and act appropriate to your age, condition and concerns.
Fort Myers Track Club (ftmyerstrackclub.com):
- Strides for Education 5K, Florida Southwestern State College, Saturday, Feb. 6 (in-person and virtual).
- Downtown Dash, 1-mile run/walk, in person in downtown Fort Myers, Friday, April 16.
GC Runners (gcrunner.org):
- Naples Golden Eagle 5K, Saturday, Feb. 13, Lowdermilk Park, Naples.
Elite Events (runeliteevents.com):
- Venice Half Marathon and 5K, Saturday, Feb. 13.
- City of Palms Half Marathon and 5K, TBD.
- Paradise Coast Half Marathon and 5K, Saturday, March 13.
- Publix Run to the Arts 5K run/walk – in person on Feb. 7, 2021, or virtual Jan. 30-Feb. 7 runsignup.com or runtothearts.com
- Cape Coral Animal Shelter Rescue Run 5K (dogs welcome), Saturday, March 20, 3dracinginc.com.
The Caloosa Riders are offering member rides, but some are open to non-members (and it wouldn’t hurt you to join the club); check their ride calendar (caloosariders.org) for a description of the distance and speed, and to see if the ride is open to all.
SW Florida Critical Mass is offering their usual slate of family-friendly rides, although the NE Lee ride seems to be lacking a leader and thus is not on the calendar. The options are below, and you can check out their line-up online (meetup.com/Biking-SWFL/events) for details and times.
- SW Florida Critical Mass ride, first Friday of the month. A family-friendly slow night ride through Fort Myers. Front and rear bike lights required. Helmet and lights required, meet in the parking lot at 2180 West First Street, Fort Myers.
- Sanibel Critical Mass night ride, second Tuesday of the month. Gathers at Jerry’s Shopping Center, 1700 Periwinkle Way, on Sanibel. Lights required, helmets recommended.
- Cape Coral Critical Mass ride, fourth Friday of the month. Gather at the Southwest Florida Military Museum parking lot at 4820 Leonard Street for a family-friendly night ride through the Cape; helmets and lights required.
- Saturday Morning Slow Roll, fourth Saturday of the
month. Meet-up at 2160 McGregor Blvd., Fort Myers. Recommended for
inexperienced/young riders. Distance is 6 miles, includes group ride