The holiday season in SW Florida brings favorable weather conditions for a run or ride, individually or in organized events. Last week's BikeWalkLee column has a quick summary of dos and don'ts for experienced and new bicycle riders. Today is also winter solstice, the shortest day of the year. Low angles of sunlight do affect visibility. Use proper lighting for your safety.
Below is what’s scheduled for organized running and biking events
locally… but confirm with the organizers and be flexible in case
conditions change and large-group activities are limited. Of course,
wear a mask and act appropriate to your age, condition and concerns. Happy holidays!
Fort Myers Track Club (ftmyerstrackclub.com):
- Kiwanis Fort Myers Metro-McGregor BUG Chase Virtual 5K, Dec. 24-Jan. 23 (virtual)
- Strides for Education 5K, Feb. 6, 2021 (in-person and virtual)
GC Runners (gcrunner.org):
- Naples Daily News Half Marathon, Saturday, Jan. 17 (in-person & virtual)
Elite Events (runeliteevents.com):
- Venice Half Marathon and 5K, Saturday, Feb. 13, 2021
- City of Palms Half Marathon and 5K, Saturday, Feb. 27, 2021
- Paradise Coast Half Marathon and 5K, Saturday, March 27, 2021
- Publix Run to the Arts 5K run/walk – in person on Feb. 7, 2021, or virtual Jan. 30-Feb. 7
The Caloosa Riders are offering member rides, but some are open to non-members (and it wouldn’t hurt you to join the club); check their ride calendar (caloosariders.org) for a description of the distance and speed, and to see if the ride is open to all.
SW Florida Critical Mass is offering their usual slate of family-friendly rides, although the NE Lee ride seems to be lacking a leader and thus is not on the calendar. The options are below, and you can check out their line-up online (http://www.meetup.com/Biking-SWFL/events/) for details and times.
- SW Florida Critical Mass ride, first Friday of the month. A family-friendly slow night ride through Fort Myers. Front and rear bike lights required. Helmet and lights required, meet in the parking lot at 2180 West First Street, Fort Myers.
- Sanibel Critical Mass night ride, second Tuesday of the month. Gathers at Jerry’s Shopping Center, 1700 Periwinkle Way, on Sanibel. Lights required, helmets recommended.
- Cape Coral Critical Mass ride, fourth Friday of the month. Gather at the Southwest Florida Military Museum parking lot at 4820 Leonard Street for a family-friendly night ride through the Cape; helmets and lights required.
- Saturday Morning Slow Roll, fourth Saturday of the
month. Meet-up at 2160 McGregor Blvd., Fort Myers. Recommended for
inexperienced/young riders. Distance is 6 miles, includes group ride