The upcoming Thanksgiving weekend is a great time to go for a run or walk, with runs in Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Estero and Naples. There's also a number of organized rides, both fast and slow. And of course you can always set out on your own to breathe some fresh air and burn off those excess calories. Happy thanksgiving!
- Thursday, Nov. 24: 37th annual Turkey Trot 5K run, walk, plus one-mile fun run and tot trot. Starts at 7:30 a.m., Cape Coral Wellness Center (ftmyerstrackclub.com).
- Thursday, Nov. 24: Thanksgiving Day 5K run/walk. 7 a.m., Germain Arena, Estero (eliteevents.org)
- Thursday, Nov. 24: Thanksgiving Day 5K and 1K kids race. 7:30 a.m., downtown Naples (gcrunner.org)
- Saturday, Dec. 3: 38th annual City of Palms River Run, 10K or 2 mile fun run/walk, starts 8 a.m. from Centennial Park in downtown Fort Myers (ftmyerstrackclub.com)
- Go to Fort Myers Track Club (ftmyerstrackclub.com), Endurance Sports Timing (endurancesportstiming.com) and 3-D Racing (3dracinginc.com) for more events. Walkers can visit meetup.com/Walking-SWFL.
- Friday, Nov. 25: Cape Coral Critical Mass ride. Meet at 7:00 p.m, ride at 7.30 p.m., Farmers Market Parking Lot, 4706 SE 11th Place (www.meetup.com/Biking-SWFL/events/qbmrtlyvpbhc/)
- Saturday, Nov. 26: SW Florida Critical Mass starter/sightseeing ride; gather at 9 a.m., roll at 9:15 a.m. from 2160 McGregor Blvd. Distance is 6 miles, includes group ride instruction. (meetup.com/Biking-SWFL/events/)
- Sunday, Nov. 27: 11th annual Fit & Fuel Iron Joe Turkey Ride, Naples’ Sunday-after-Thanksgiving cycling tradition. 62-, 30- and 20 miles rides, begins and end at Fit & Fuel Café. (raceroster.com/events/2016/9300/fit-fuel-iron-joe-turkey-ride)
- Friday, Dec. 2: SWFL Critical Mass giant monthly evening ride, side lot next to the downtown Publix, 2160 McGregor Blvd, Fort Myers. Tailgate starts at 7:15 (though many arrive earlier). Wheels roll at 8:00. (meetup.com/Biking-SWFL/events/ccmrtlyvqbdb/).
- For more Lee County cycling and tri events, visit Caloosa Riders Bicycle Club (caloosariders.org); Florida Mudcutters (mudcutters.org); and SW Florida Biking Meetup Group (meetup.com/Biking-SWFL).