It is heating up out here in SWFL and so are the outdoor events! Running, cycling, and triathlons will be held this month of May and more to come this Summer season. Have some fun and run for a good cause, bike to raise awareness, or compete to set your personal best.
• Saturday, May 14: 11th annual Lover Key Turtle Trot 5K. 8 a.m., to support the Friend of Lovers Key. (www.ftmyerstrackclub.com)
• Saturday, May 21: Cape Cops 5K run/walk and fun run, starting at 7:30 a.m. to benefit the families of fallen or injured officers. Cape Coral Yacht Club. (www.ftmyerstrackclub.com)
• Monday, May 30: Memorial Day 5K. Celebrate Memorial Day with a fun 5k at North Collier Regional Park. Proceeds of the race benefit the Special Olympics. (gcrunner.org)
• Saturday, June 18: Sugden Stride 5K, 7 a.m. at Sugden Regional Park in Naples. (eliteevents.org)
• Friday, May 6: SW Florida Critical Mass ride. Join a family-friendly slow ride through Fort Myers. Front and rear bike lights required. Grab your helmet, bring all your friends and meet in the open field next to Publix (beginning at 7:15 p.m. for a 8 p.m. roll-out) at First Street Village, 2160 McGregor Blvd. Fort Myers. (twitter.com/swflcm)
• Wednesday, May 18: Ride of Silence, to honor those who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways. The Fort Myers ride starts at 7 p.m. at Centennial Park; the Sanibel ride starts at 7 p.m. from Matzaluna, 1200 Periwinkle Way.
• Saturday, May 14: Cape Coral Yacht Club Sprint. (capeparks.com or active.com)
• Sunday, June 5: Naples Fitness Challenge Reverse Sprint. Naples Beach Club. (thefitnesschallengetriathlon.com)
• Plan ahead: Other upcoming area tris include the American Sprint Triathlon & Duathlon in Naples July 20 (eliteevents.org), the Englewood Sprint tri July 16 (swflymca.org), the Siesta Key Olympic and Sprint Tris and Duathlon June 25 or Aug. 6 (multirace.com), the Venice Sprint Sept. 3 (swflymca.org), the Siesta Kay Sprint Tri Sept. 24 (siestakeytriathlon.org) and the Marco Island Sprint Oct. 2 (thefitnesschallengetriathlon.com). Willing to drive? Check trifind.com for other state tris.