Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Join SWFL Biking MeetUp Group



Hello Everyone,

I've recently taken the reins of the Southwest Florida Biking MeetUp Group (http://www.meetup.com/Biking-SWFL/) from the founder who needed a break from managing it after many years of doing so.  So that this community asset wouldn't become history I thought I'd try to keep it alive and use it as an opportunity to offer cycling education in the form of "rules of the road and pathway" and even some skills training for those interested.  I'm also hoping it'll lead to some folks to taking one or more CyclingSavvy sessions (http://cyclingsavvy.org/), thus becoming the confident cyclist they'd like to be.

I've already had a few takers with a program offered at Lakes Park a few weeks ago so I thought I'd see if there are others interested but who didn't make it by scheduling another outing that combines recreational cycling with educational opportunities.  Like last time at Lakes Park, we'll be in an excellent outdoor setting. 

Anyone who's interested can meet at Calusa Nature Center (http://www.calusanature.org/) to visit their aviaries, trails, and education center. While there you can take part in short programs covering the rules of the roads and trails for cyclists that I'll be offering in the parking lot of CNC beginning at 10am and going until noon on SATURDAY, JULY 21ST.  I'll be there by 9am.
You may either come by bike or ride yours from there. As many know, CNC is ideally located for access by bike on the northwest corner of Colonial Blvd and Ortiz Ave, just west of I-75. It's the eastern trail head for the North Colonial Canal Linear Park and connects to Six Mile Cypress and Ortiz pathways as well as the Colonial Blvd pathway and Winkler Ave bike lanes.
You need not join the MeetUp group to attend this outing but are welcome to.  Whether you do you not, please let me know if you plan to come - you may reply directly to this Email or do so through MeetUp if you join (no charge to join or participate).  I have a limited number of day passes to the Calusa Nature Center that will get you in at no charge so the sooner you RSVP the more likely you'll receive a free pass.
The weather's been hot and wet but this weekend is forecast to be drier than earlier this week so I hope you'll consider spending the morning biking, hiking, and learning....Dan


No comments:

Post a Comment

BikeWalkLee is not responsible for the validity of any comment posted at this site and has the right to remove any comment at any time.